Athlete & Coach licensing
The USFL provides licensing for youth athletes, ages 8 to 17 yrs and their coaches enabling them to compete in legally regulated Pankration events.
Please read all steps before starting process
REGISTER FOR FIGHTER OR COACH LICENSE & CREATE A PROFILE IN THE USFL DATABASE:
ANNUAL LICENSE MUST BE PURCHASED NO LATER THAN ONE WEEK PRIOR TO EVENT
YOUTH ATHLETE LICENSE - $50
COACH OF YOUTH ATHLETE LICENSE - $20
Coaches must complete Sports Engine Criminal Background Check and Safety Training every 2 years for $25.50
Carefully review and complete all steps in the cascades below for
ATHLETES & COACHES
1. How can I compete in a bout or tournament?
Our home page lists "Upcoming Events" which includes a contact number or email for the promoter/ matchmaker. You should contact them at your earliest convince to see if you can paired you up with an opponent of equal size, age and experience. Tournaments are open enrollment with a sign up link include with the event posting.
2. Why do I need a license to compete in Pankration?
Licensing ensures participants have provided proof of age and medical clearance for competition. The license is also a method to communicate and provide required state and federal health and safety information to parents. Finally the license is used to track competition results and eligibility of participants.
3. Does the USFL promote actual competitions.
No, promoters/ matchmakers are independent from the USFL but licensed to host and run events. The USFL appoints a lead official to oversee pairings, weight in's, medicals, verify regulatory requirements and to report results and injuries.
4. What happens if my coach does not obtain a coaches license?
You may still be able to compete. Many coaches in the USFL are willing to substitute and corner athletes without a licensed coach. However, athletes from teams without a licensed coach will be considered "unattached" , not earn team points and have no ability to challenge the outcome of a bout. In many cases a parent obtains a coaches license if they are lacking a licensed coach from their own gym. If a non authorized coach or individual enters the completion area the opposing athletes camp can petition for an automatic No Contest to any decision rendered from the outcome of the bout.
Youth athletes must upload an annual sports physical and USFL waiver each year they register for their license. The waiver requires acknowledgment of receipt for concussion and dehydration education materials.
1) PRINT AND SIGN WAIVER/ PARTICIPANT CODE OF CONDUCT: SEND TO USFL
Both parent/ guardian and youth athletes must sign and initial acknowledging receipt of concussion and dehydration education materials. This form must be uploaded when registering for the Athletes license.
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD & PRINT: PARENTAL WAIVER/ CODE OF CONDUCT
2) READ AND RETAIN CONCUSSION EDUCATION DOCUMENT
The USFL is legally required to furnish this information to to parents and guardians of youth athletes. You do not have to sign and return this form as long as you and your athlete initial receipt of it on the USFL waiver/ Code of conduct form.
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD: CONCUSSION EDUCATION INFORMATION
3) READ AND RETAIN DEHYDRATION EDUCATION DOCUMENT
Youth athletes are not permitted to dehydrate or cut water weight. Review this document with your athlete.
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD: DEHYDRATION/ WEIGHT CUTTING INFORMATION
4) ANNUAL SPORTS PHYSICAL: SEND TO USFL
We will accept any sports physical signed and dated by the physician such as annual physicals from USA Boxing, IKF Kickboxing or High School Sports, although the official USFL Annual Physical is preferred. The physical can be uploaded during or after initial registration or emailed to email@example.com where it will be filed for the year. or
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD: ANNUAL USFL PHYSICAL FORM (PDF)
Do not show up with improper Equipment!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
SAFE SPORT MATERIALS FOR PARENTS
Child abuse is the #1 health and safety risk for youth athletes.
Rule #1 - Prevent all potential ONE on ONE situations between youth athletes & adults.
Report any occurrences of Child abuse to any USFL Official or
This link contains free training, information & resources for parents of youth athletes in prevention detection and reporting of inappropriate conduct from peers, coaches & officials.
Be prepared to register with athletes Legal Name, the same name as listed on the proof of age document.
$50 Annual Athlete Licensing FEE
(This is where you will upload documents and pay for license) (Create a new account if renewing)
HAVE READY TO UPLOAD
2) A government document that clearly shows Name and Date of Birth. Scan or take clear photo with cell phone.
1. I am already a professional MMA coach, do I still need to register as a coach with the USFL and complete the training and background check?
Yes, Federal and State statutes require additional safety and vetting requirements to coach youth athletics.
2. Can I still qualify as a coach if I had a felony conviction?
Maybe, the Criminal Background check is primarily designed to restrict individuals with convictions for sex offenses and crimes against children as well as other crimes which may be pose a threat to the health and safety of children. Understanding Combat Sports are often described as the sport of second chances, the USFL will consider waivers for individuals convicted of other crimes of violence on a case by case basis.
3. Is my coaches license valid in all areas of the country?
The USFL coach and athlete license is valid and required in every state and jurisdiction that has USFL Youth competitions.
4. If I already competed a background, Concussion and SafeSport compliant training for another sport do I still have to do it for the USFL?
We will accept proof of completion if documentation with date and name is proven on a case by case basis.
5. What do I need to do to become a licensed coach?
Register in the USFL Coaches License database registration (Cost $20)
First year and ever-other year after:
1. Sports Engine (Cost $25.50) - Includes Criminal Background Check, Abbreviated Concussion course, and email link to Abuse Prevention Systems online course and certificate.
Second year and every-other year after:
1. Online *Coach Training (Free) - Includes rules, health and safety and Abbreviated Safe Sport Training.
2. Online CDC Heads Up Concussion training and **Certificate (Free)
*Code for Coaches training - Coach
**CDC Certificate must be emailed to USFL.
Details on the above requirements are in the cascade below
Register for your License
$20 Annual Licensed Fee
Have a photo ready for upload
Coaches must complete a "Sports Engine" criminal background check which includes concussion and abuse prevention training every two years ($25.50)
Complete CDC Concussion training (Free) with USFL Online Training (Free) on alternating years/ during years when Sports Engine background check is not required..
**Create a new account if renewing. The Formsite account has changed so it will not recognize your previous account.
USFL Coaches are screened for convictions of sex offenses & crimes against children and require training in compliance with the Federal SafeSport Act.
Due this ASAP if event is within two weeks
This will cost $25.50 and is good for two years.
In this Session you will obtain Training and Information on:
USFL Code of Conduct
Safe Sport Protocols
Dangers of Dehydration
Your final step will be an emailed link to complete your online Abuse Prevention Systems Course.
You may bypass these requirements if you can provide proof of the following:
1. Completed/Passed a Criminal Background check from another Sports federation (within 2 years)
2. Have a Certificate of completion for the CDC Coaches Heads Up Concussion Course (within 1 year)
3. Certificate/ Documented proof of completion of one of the following: (Within 2 years)
Safe Sport Certificate
Mandatory Reporter Certificate
Abuse Prevention Certificate
Darkness to Light Certificate
Email Certificates/ Proof dated to email@example.com
Certain criminal convictions of violence may require a waiver.
Convicted Sex offenders, Convictions of crimes against children and other egregious offenses cannot be waived.
Stand Alone Abuse Prevention System (ABS) Training is available for $5.
*You already get this course as part of your Search Engine background check. If you failed to use the email link sent to you and now have to complete the course, do it here.
Use this link to take the online course by itself
Required every other year or when the Sports Engine Background Check when Safety Training is not done.
Strongly Recommended for 1st Time Coaches
1. USFL RULES & SUPPLEMENTAL SAFETY TRAINING
(Select each answer that is applicable to learn (Not a Test)
(Access code for training - Coach )
This course takes approximately 30 minutes to complete.
(Email Certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org)
The Coaches handbook contains useful Health & Safety information for coaches youth as well as rules and regs for USFL
Do not show up with improper Equipment!
Email email@example.com if you have any questions.
COACHES CODE OF CONDUCT
We Are Serious About This. Take the Minute To Read & Digest.
USFL Coaches license and privileges can be revoked for violations:
All Coaches shall therefore resolve to conduct themselves with dignity as a member of the USFL by:
- Upholding the honor and dignity of the profession.
- Setting an example of the highest ethical and moral conduct in personal contact with athletes, sports officials, parents/guardians, spectators and the public.
- Taking an active role in the prevention of drug, alcohol and tobacco abuse.
- Avoiding the use of alcohol and tobacco products when in contact with athletes.
- Mastering the contest rules and teaching them to his or her team members.
- Not seeking an advantage by circumvention of the spirit or letter of the rules.
- Exerting an influence to eliminate un-sportsmanlike conduct by spectators or others and not to indulge in conduct which would incite competitors or spectators against the officials.
- Respecting and supporting decisions by officials.
- Meeting and exchanging cordial greetings with the opposing coach; setting the appropriate tone for the event before and after competition.
- Encouraging safe and practical competition practices, including but not limited to, reasonable weight management and discouragement of unnecessary weight cutting.
Prevention, Detection and Reporting of Child Abuse
- Never create an unobserved ONE on ONE interaction with a youth athlete. This is the key preventive measure against sexual assaults and claims.
- You are a mandatory reporter and must report suspicion of child abuse to 911 within 24hrs of occurrence and specifically ask if follow up is required.
- Complete criminal background check & all required safety training.
TRAINING SEQUENCE FOR COACHES
|SPORTS ENGINE BACKGROUND & SAFTY TRAINING||CDC CONCUSSION CERTIFICATE||ONLINE COACH TRAINING Access Code - Coach|
|1st Year and Every Other Year After||Years when Sports Engine is not Done||Years when Sports Engine is not Done|
SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS FOR COACH, ATHLETE & PARENT
AGE & WEIGHT WAIVERS: